홍익대학교 금속조형디자인과
교강사비트박스

Georg Jensen - Daniel K. Randall

페이지 정보

작성자 운영팀 작성일17-09-04 16:32 조회1,310회 댓글0건

본문

Silversmith with Vision  

Throughout my career as a metalsmith and educator I have always emphasized the importance of studying the history of our field and the work which has been produced in the past. I believe an understanding of what has come before gives us a better understanding of our role as artist/ designer/ craftsman. One of the most influential designer craftsmen I have encountered is the Danish Silversmith Georg Jensen. 

George Jensen was born in 1866 in Ravad, Denmark. He studied goldsmithing as an apprentice beginning at the age of 14. Following his apprenticeship he decided to follow his interest in fine art and began his studies at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Art. His training in fine art sculpture would play a very important role in his later silver work. In 1904 Jensen opened his own silversmithy in Copenhagen after several failed attempts at other business ventures. 

Jensen’s early silver work, both hollowware and jewelry, were heavily influenced by his rural childhood. Decoration inspired by nature combined with the flowing line quality of Art Nuveau was the signature of Jensen’s work.    

113-1.jpg

Magnolia Collection: Covered Dish - Georg Jensen, 1905

Following an exhibition of silverwork at the Danish Museum of Decorative Arts in 1904 Jensen’s work gained great popularity.   By 1920’s he had expanded his operation to include hundreds of employees, had gained global recognition for his designs and had opened retail outlets in New York, London, Paris, Stockholm and Berlin.

One of the most interesting aspects of Jensen’s work was his ability to combine his artistic talents with his design of functional wares. Rather than follow the popular style trends of the time Jensen essentially created new trends by following his own artistic vision and trusting his artistic intuition.

Another interesting aspect of Jensen’s design strategy was to employ designers who were at the forefront to design during that time. In many cases the specific designs which became iconic Jensen pieces were not designed by Jensen himself but by designers who were employed by Jensen.

113-2.jpg

Covered Dish Henning Koppel, 1956

Designers such as Henning Koppel, Arne Jacobsen, Johan Rohde and Sigvard Bernadotte designed some of the most iconic pieces for the Jensen Silversmithy. 

113-3.jpg

The Bernadotte Collection: Pitcher Sigvard Bernadotte 1938

Many of these designs appear modern even today which is a testament to the skill and talent of these artists. 

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.